Syracuse Common Council may support early voting bill

The Common Council will vote on the resolution of support Monday.

The Syracuse Common Council will consider on Monday a resolution to support New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s voter reform bill that would allow early voting throughout the state.

Councilor Latoya Allen, of the 4th district, proposed the resolution during Wednesday’s council study session at City Hall. Allen represents portions of Syracuse University’s campus.

New York is one of 13 states that currently has no early voting. Cuomo’s proposal, announced in January, would provide state funds for counties to establish a 12-day period of early voting before Election Day.

“With New York state having one of the lowest voter turnouts across the country, we must address these reform and make them a reality,” said Onondaga County Elections Commissioner Dustin Czarny at Wednesday’s session.

New York had the eighth worst voter turnout in the United States during the November 2016 elections, according to Politifact.

Czarny said he wants the state to implement early voting in time for 2019 local elections, so the county can “get ready to perfect it for the big 2020 presidential election.”

Cuomo’s proposal requires counties provide a minimum of one polling station for every 50,000 registered voters. According to 2016 New York state data, Onondaga County had 300,795 registered voters, which translates to a minimum of six early voting stations if the governor’s legislation is passed.

The Onondaga County Board of Elections would choose the location of the early voting stations, Czarny said.