Letters To The Editor

It’s time for New York state to cast its ballot and support Early Voting

Dear Editor,

Earlier this year, the Democratic Caucus of the New York State Election Commissioners Association formally endorsed Early Voting in New York state. The support for this voting reform was nearly unanimous within our caucus. The time is now for New York state to enact this vital reform.  For five years, New York has remained in limbo on the question of early voting and the corresponding funding.  During that time, we’ve seen other states not only enact early voting, but in many cases, expand its usage. Here are now 37 states, the vast majority of the country, that allow their citizens the option of casting votes before Election Day. It’s time for New York state to become the 38th state.

In our modern day society, there’s more pressure than ever on our time. We have single parent households and dual income households trying to balance the needs of long work hours with childcare and school activities. Commuters face delays that are out of their control. Family and medical emergencies can further put demands on our already limited time. The concept of only voting in a single 15 hour period on a Tuesday in November is antiquated and doesn’t take into account our modern needs. Early Voting is one of the most vocal demands of citizens coming to our Board of Election offices in the days leading up to Election Day. They see other states have this convenience and want that option here in our state.

The Democratic Caucus of the New York State Election Commissioners Association urges the New York State Legislature to pass funding for Early Voting in this year’s budget and commit to funding in the years to come. By passing Early Voting this year it will allow the Boards of Elections to implement Early Voting in 2019. It’s important that we don’t delay another year.  Early Voting should be perfected for the 2020 presidential election season, where fervent turnout is expected. The time is now for New York to join the vast majority of the country and pass Early Voting in this year’s budget.

If you also want Early Voting, it’s important your state representatives hear from you. Call them and demand that Early Voting legislation and funding is passed this year.

Sincerely,

Dustin M. Czarny

NYSECA Democratic Caucus Chair